Univision’s Winning Streak Reaches Lucky Number 13 as Network Ranks No 1. On Broadcast Television During Primetime for the 13th Straight Week With Adult 18-34 Viewers
Sunday Night Reality Competition Series, “¿Quién Es la Máscara?” Hits New Milestones Across All Key Demos and Leads Univision To Win Over ABC, CBS and FOX on Sunday Night Among Adults 18-34
Univision Broadcast Prime Highlights – Week of August 17, 2020 to August 23, 2020
- For the seventh consecutive week, Univision increased its primetime audience by double-digits from the comparable week last year among Total Viewers 2+ (+33% to 1.4 million), Adults 18-49 (+22% to 530,000) and Adults 18-34 (+26% to 230,000).
- Univision delivered year-over-year primetime audience growth (+22%) while ABC (-13%), CBS (-24%), NBC (-44%), FOX (-37%), The CW (-24%) and Telemundo (-22%) all reported audience declines with the key Adult 18 to 49 demographic.
- Univision captured the No. 1 broadcast network ranking during primetime for the thirteenth consecutive week, outperforming ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and The CW with 230,000 Adults 18-34. This marked the longest weekly winning streak of any network since the 2010/2011 season.
- For the entire week, Univision finished as the third most-watched broadcast network in primetime, out-delivering CBS, FOX and The CW with 530,000 Adults 18-49 as well as the fourth largest broadcast network, ahead of FOX and The CW with 1.4 million Total Viewers 2+.
- Univision outperformed one or more of the English-language broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX) on every night last week for the third consecutive week among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
- Univision ranked as the No. 1 Spanish-language network ranking in primetime for the thirty-ninth consecutive week with double-digit audience advantages over Telemundo among Total Viewers 2+ (+36% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+40% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+38% adv).
- Airing weeknights at 9 p.m., “Médicos, Línea de Vida” averaged 1.4 million Total Viewers 2+, 553,000 Adults 18-49 and 253,000 Adults 18-34 and positioned Univision as the No. 1 broadcast network, ahead of ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and The CW with Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34. The medical drama also out-delivered Telemundo’s “Cennet” with double-digit audience advantages among Total Viewers 2+ (+14% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+27% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+33% adv.).
- Univision captured the No. 1 broadcast network ranking in the weeknight 10 p.m. hour, outperforming ABC, CBS and NBC among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 with “Como Tú No Hay 2.” The romantic comedy delivered doubled the audience levels of Telemundo’s “Enemigo Intimo II” with 1.7 million Total Viewers 2+ and 698,000 Adults 18-49 while also averaged +78% more Adults 18-34 (287,000).
- With the live coverage of the final night of the 2020 Democratic National Convention, Univision’s news special “Destino 2020 Presenta” attracted 1.0 million Total Viewers 2+, 346,000 Adults 18-49 and 141,000 Adults 18-34 on Thursday night. “Destino 2020 Presenta” delivered more Adult 18-34 viewers than the broadcast of the political event on ABC (+27% adv.) and NBC (+53% adv.) as well as outperformed that of Telemundo by double-digits among Total Viewers 2+ (+34% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+30% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+41% adv.).
- On Saturday night, Univision finished ahead of CBS and FOX for the entire night among Adults 18-34 with live coverage of Liga MX. Preceded by the soccer matchup between Tigres UANL vs. Unam which drew in 675,000 Total Viewers 2+, 276,000 Adults 18-49 and 107,000 Adults 18-34, America vs. Monterrey retained and increased its overall lead-in audience by +37% with 922,000 Total Viewers 2+ and ranked as the third most-watched program on broadcast television among Adults 18-49 (417,000) and Adults 18-34 (153,000). The sports event also delivered more Total Viewers 2+ (+40%), Adults 18-49 (+28%) and Adults 18-34 (+25%) to the network’s 8:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. time slot from that of the prior Saturday and drove Univision to a first-place finish on Spanish-language television for the entire night with double-digit audience advantages over Telemundo among Adults 18-49 (+28% adv.) and Total Viewers 2+ (+31% adv.).
- Sunday night’s airing of “¿Quién Es la Máscara?” averaged its highest audience levels since its premiere with double-digit week-over-week audience gains among Total Viewers 2+ (+11% to 1.7 million), Adults 18-49 (+18% to 645,000) and Adults 18-34 (+23% to 288,000) and positioned Univision as the No. 2 broadcast network, outperforming ABC, CBS, FOX and The CW during the 8:00 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. time slot as well as for the entire night with Adults 18-34. The reality competition series finished among the top-rated programs on broadcast television, in fourth-place with Adults 18-34 and in sixth-place with Adults 18-49 while also made Univision the No. 1 Spanish-language network for the fourth consecutive Sunday night with double-digit audience advantages over Telemundo among Total Viewers 2+ (+61% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+47% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+66% adv.).
Source: Nielsen, NPM (08/17/2020-08/23/2020) Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm/Sun 7pm-11pm, Live+SD.