New Acclaimed Series Join Popular News, Reality, and Live Event Programming to Power Univision As One of The Top Five Broadcast Networks in the U.S. During Primetime
NEW YORK – NOVEMBER 19, 2018 – With the November 2018 sweep period drawing to a close soon, Univision is set to finish as the No. 1 Spanish-language network for the 25th year, and will rank alongside ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC among the top five broadcast networks.
“Univision’s success this November sweep showcases the incredible momentum we have generated over the last several months with our renewed emphasis and dedication to informing, empowering, and entertaining Hispanic America,” said Jessica Rodriguez, President and Chief Operating Officer, Univision Networks and Chief Marketing Officer. “With this new focus, we have introduced new series ‘Jesus’ and ‘Amar a Muerte,’ as well as revamped the format of our popular talent reality competition show ‘Nuestra Belleza Latina,’ leading to growth across primetime viewership at all hours and solidifying our position as the undisputed leader in Spanish-Language television. Our reinvigorated primetime lineup, combined with our award-winning news, reality, sports, and live event content, underscores Univision’s preeminence among the premier broadcast networks in the country.”
For the November 2018 Sweep, Univision is averaging 1.4 million Total Viewers 2+, 591,000 Adults 18-49, and 247,000 Adults 18-34 during primetime, making it No. 1 in all of Spanish-language television with double-digit audience advantages over Telemundo among Total Viewers 2+ (+19%) and Adults 18-49 (+10%), as well as a +6% advantage with Adults 18-34. Univision will also finish among the top five broadcast networks in primetime, besting The CW by double-digits among Total Viewers 2+ (+41% advantage), Adults 18-49 (+48% advantage), and Adults 18-34 (+52% advantage). With a median age of 46, Univision is attracting an audience that is 11 years younger than the average viewer of the major English-language broadcast networks in primetime during the November 2018 sweep period. Additionally, Univision is delivering the highest audience concentration of millennials and Adults 18-49 compared to ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and The CW during primetime.
The network has been buoyed by the recent premieres of “Jesus” and “Amar a Muerte,” which along with “Mi Marido Tiene Mas Familia,” have reinforced the 8:00-11:00 p.m. weekday primetime viewing block. Averaging more than half-a-million Adult 18-49 viewers, the programs are outperforming such English-language dramas as NBC’s “Midnight, Texas” and The CW’s “Arrow” and “Riverdale.” “Jesus” and “Amar A Muerte” have also delivered more Adult 18-34 viewers than first-run episodes of ABC’s “A Million Little Things” and “Fresh Off The Boat, CBS’ “Bull” and “ S.W.A.T;” NBC’s “Blindspot” and “Midnight, Texas;” FOX’s “The Gifted” and “Lethal Weapon;” as well as The CW’s “Arrow, and “DCs Legends of Tomorrow.”
The network’s presentation of the 19th annual “Latin Grammy Awards” reached nearly 7.0 million Total Viewers 2+ and positioned Univision as the No. 3 network for the entire night, out-delivering CBS, NBC, The CW and all Cable Networks among Adults 18-34. The telecast averaged 2.7 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.2 million Adults 18-49 and 511,000 Adults 18-34 and made Univision the No. 1 Spanish-language network with doubled the primetime audience levels of Telemundo on this night. The 19th annual “Latin Grammy Awards” also attracted more Adult 18-49 and Adult 18-34 viewers than the entire original line-ups on NBC (“Superstore,” “The Good Place,” “Will & Grace,” “I Feel Bad” and “Law and Order: SVU”) and The CW (“Supernatural” and “Legacies”) as well as first-run episodes of ABC’s “How To Get Away With Murder” and CBS’ “Murphy Brown” and “S.W.A.T.”
In network news, Univision’s special live coverage of the 2018 midterm elections on Tuesday, November 6 was the network of choice among U.S. Hispanics, averaging more viewers than all the networks with midterm election coverage on this night (ABC, CBS, NBC, Telemundo, CNN, CNN En Español, FOX Business, FOX News Channel and MSNBC). “Noticiero Univision Presenta: El Poder En Juego,” attracted 1.5 million Total Viewers 2+, 619,000 Adults 18-49 and 262,000 Adults 18-34, out-delivering Telemundo’s news special, “El Voto” head-to-head during the 9:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. time slot by double-digit margins among Total Viewers 2+ (+64% advantage), Adults 18-49 (+60% advantage), and Adults 18-34 (+80% advantage). Additionally, Univision’s weeknight evening newscast, “Noticiero Univision” ranks as the No. 1 evening news program on broadcast television with more Hispanic viewers than the combined audience of “ABC World News Tonight,” “CBS Evening News,” and “NBC Nightly News” among Total Viewers 2+ (+21% advantage), Adults 18-49 (+57% advantage), and Adults 18-34 (+131% advantage) during the November 2018 sweep period. “Noticiero Univision” is also outperforming “Noticiero Telemundo” with double-digit audience advantages among Total Viewers 2+ (+39% advantage), Adults 18-49 (+39% advantage), and Adults 18-34 (+41% advantage).
Univision Network – Additional Highlights:
- Univision is out-delivering Telemundo across all four weeknight primetime hours with the key 18 to 49 demographic: 7pm (+37% advantage), 8pm (+47% advantage), 9pm (+5% advantage) and 10pm (+9% advantage).
- Univision has out-delivered one or more of the English-language broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX) on one out of every two nights among Adults 18-34 (55% of the time).
- Univision’s Sunday night talent reality competition series, “Nuestra Belleza Latina” is averaging more Hispanic viewers than such English-language reality series as ABC’s “Dancing With The Stars,” CBS’ “Survivor,” NBC’s “The Voice” and FOX’s “Hell’s Kitchen” among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
- Univision’s portfolio of networks, including UniMás, Galavision and Univision Deportes Network, is delivering a 61 percent audience share in primetime over the major Spanish-language competitors among Adults 18-49.
- Univision is delivering 48 of the top 100 entertainment programs among Hispanic Adults 18-49, the most of any network, regardless of language.
- Univision is delivering 43 of the top 100 entertainment programs among Bilingual Hispanic Adults 18-49, the most of any network, regardless of language.
- Univision ranks as the No. 1 Spanish-language network among Adults 18-49, outperforming Telemundo across the key non-prime dayparts of Early Morning (+44% advantage), Daytime (+5% advantage), Early Fringe (+17% advantage), Late Fringe (+52% advantage), Weekend Day (+4% advantage).
- Univision is out-delivering Telemundo by double-digit audience advantages during Total Day among Total Viewers 2+ (+16% advantage), Adults 18-49 (+17% advantage) and Adults 18-34 (+15% advantage).
Source: Nielsen, NPM (10/25/2018-11/15/2018), Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm/Sun 7pm-11pm, Live+SD. Shares based on the sum of impressions among Univision, UniMás, Galavision, Univision Deportes, Telemundo and Universo. Program Ranker based on Mon-Sat 7am-2am, ad-supported networks, excludes sports and repeats. Daypart definitions: Early Morning (M-F 7am-10am), Daytime (M-F 10am-4pm), Early Fringe (M-F 4pm-7pm), Late Fringe (M-Su 11pm-2am), Weekend Daytime (7am-7pm) and Total Day (M-Su 7am-2am). Network News based on M-F 6:30pm-7pm.
Visit corporate.univision.com/newco for more information on UCI, and follow @UCIPRTeam on Twitter and Instagram.
CONTACT: Kevin Sornatale (212)-455-5259 firstname.lastname@example.org