UniMás Out-delivers Telemundo for the First Time Ever in Any Sweeps During Primetime Among Total Viewers 2+
UCI is the Only Major Media Company with Year-Over-Year Audience Growth across the Top-Ranked Broadcast Networks in Primetime Among Total Viewers 2+
NEW YORK – MAY 26, 2017 – Univision and UniMás wrapped up May 2017 Sweep as the No. 1 and No. 2 Spanish-language networks in primetime among Total Viewers 2+. For the first time ever in any sweep period, UniMás out-delivered Telemundo during primetime among Total Viewers 2+. These May Sweep results positioned Univision Communications Inc. as the only major media company with year-over-year audience growth across the top-ranked broadcast networks in primetime among Total Viewers 2+.
This May 2017 Sweep marked the 25th consecutive May sweep in which Univision ranked as the No. 1 Spanish-language network during primetime among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
“Whether it’s week to week, season to season, or sweep after sweep, Hispanic America continues to choose the networks of Univision for entertainment, news and sports content,” said Lourdes Diaz, president of Entertainment, UCI. “We know what they’re passionate about and we are listening to what they want; delivering them contemporary stories that resonate with their lives, sophisticated storylines that go beyond just romance, and content that engages them across all our platforms.”
Additionally, UCI Networks delivered a 68 percent share of the primetime Spanish-language Adults 18-49 audience, up from 61 percent versus the May 2016 sweep, and higher versus the past two sweep periods in the current 2016/2017 season. The UCI Networks also aired 8 out of the top 10 most-watched programs during primetime among Hispanic Adults 18-49.
Additional Univision Network Highlights
- Finished as the No. 1 Spanish-language network during primetime, out-delivering its closest competitor by double-digit margins among Total Viewers 2+ (+72% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+64% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+65% adv.).
- Ranked as the fifth largest broadcast network, ahead of CW in primetime with an average audience of 1.6 million Total Viewers 2+, 726,000 Adults 18-49 and 314,000 Adults 18-34.
Additional UniMás Highlights
- Finished as the No. 2 Spanish-language network during primetime for the first time in any sweep period, out-delivering Telemundo among Total Viewers 2+ (937,000 vs. 923,000).
- Delivered audience growth over the May 2016 sweep in primetime among Adults 18-49 (+40%), Adults 18-34 (+22%) and Total Viewers 2+ (+55%) while Telemundo declined across all three demographic groups.
Source: Nielsen, NPM (04/27/2017-05/24/2017) Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm/Sun 7pm-11pm, Live+SD. Top-ranked broadcast networks based on the top 10. Audience growth compared to May 2016 Sweep (04/28/2016-05/25/2016). Shares based on the sum of impressions among Univision, UniMás, Galavision, Univision Deportes Network, Telemundo, NBC Universo, Azteca America and Estrella TV. Programming ranker based on NPM-H ad-supported networks.
Univision Deportes Network (UDN)
- UDN is No. 1 Spanish-language sports network among Total Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49, and No. 4 sports network overall for Adults 18-49, regardless of language.
Source: Nielsen, NPM, NPMH, (04/27/2017-05/24/2017) Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm/Sun 7pm-11pm, L+SD data
- Galavisión ranked No. 1 among Spanish-language cable entertainment networks across all dayparts during the May 2017 sweep among Total Viewers P2+ and Adults 18-49.
Source: Nielsen NPM L+SD data (4/27/2017-5/24/2017) excludes, sports, breakouts and non-commercials. Networks included: Discovery Familia, Discover en Espanol and NBC Universo. Early Morning: M-F 6A-9A, Daytime: M-F 9A-3P Early Fringe M-F 3P-7P, SL Prime M-Su 7P-11P, Late Fringe: M-Su 11P-2A, Total Day M-Su 7A-2A
- UCI is the No. 1 Local Media Company in Primetime in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, and Phoenix among Adults 18-49 during the May Sweep.
- Among all viewers Adults 18-49, regardless of language, the Univision and UniMás stations in Los Angeles are No. 1 and No. 2 in primetime.
- In primetime, Univision television stations in Los Angeles, Houston, and San Francisco ranked No. 1 among Adults 18-49.
Source: Nielsen, NSI, May 2017 Sweep (04/27/17-05/24/17), Live +SD. #1 local media company is based on Univision and UniMás combined prime delivery compared to combined prime delivery of local station groups in each market. Primetime is defined as ABC/CBS/NBC/IND/UNI/UMA/TEL/AZA/MFZ/ETV Mon-Sat 8-11 p.m./Sun 7-11 p.m. ET/PT (Mon-Sat 7-10 p.m./Sun 6-10 p.m. CT/MT) and FOX/CW Mon-Sat 8-10 p.m./Sun 7-10 p.m. ET/PT (Mon-Sat 7-9 p.m./Sun 6-9 p.m. CT/MT). Rankings based on absolute impressions.
For the full Local May Sweep Release click here.