“El Chapo” Premiere Reaches 6.0 Million Total Viewers 2+ on Univision and UniMás
Univision Finishes as the No. 1 Spanish-Language Network on Sunday Night, Out-Delivering its Closest Competitor by Double-Digit Margins Across Key Demos
NEW YORK – APRIL 25, 2017 – The highly anticipated premiere of the boundary-breaking series “El Chapo” reached 6.0 million Total Viewers 2+, who tuned in to all or part of the two-hour broadcast on Sunday, April 23, 2017. Simulcast on both Univision and UniMás networks from 8 to 10 p.m. ET/PT, “El Chapo” averaged 2.3 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.1 million Adults 18-49 and 508,000 Adults 18-34. Marked as the first co-production between Story House Entertainment, Univision’s development and production arm, and Netflix, the dramatic series increased its audience in the second hour compared to the first hour by double-digit margins among Total Viewers 2+ (+16%), Adults 18-49 (+21%) and Adults 18-34 (+23%).
“These premiere results are a testament to the work of our storytellers and creators, and reinforce our commitment to developing cutting-edge content through authentic and relevant voices, in front and behind the camera,” said Camila Jiménez Villa, president and chief content officer of Fusion Media Group (FMG). “This is only the beginning. We look forward to our audience’s reaction to ‘El Chapo’ as the story continues to unfold every Sunday night.”
“El Chapo” explores the life of Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán – portrayed by Marco de la O, Tanto Amor – who has been accused by law enforcement of running the “largest drug trafficking organization in the world,” and who has long evaded authorities. After being captured by Mexican law enforcement in February 2014, Guzmán escaped from a maximum security Mexican prison in July 2015 by crawling through an opening in the shower of his cellblock that led to a mile-long tunnel to freedom. He was recaptured nearly six months later and extradited to the United States earlier this year. His next scheduled court appearance is on May 5, 2017. New episodes air every Sunday on the Univision Network from 8 to 9 p.m. ET/PT.
ADDITIONAL NETWORK HIGHLIGHTS
“El Chapo” on the Univision Network:
- Reached 4.6 million Viewers 2+ who tuned in to all or part of the two-hour premiere block.
- Averaged 1.7 million Total Viewers 2+, 863,000 Adults 18-49 and 388,000 Adults 18-34.
- Made Univision the No. 2 broadcast network, outperforming ABC, CBS and FOX among Adults 18-34; fourth largest broadcast network, out-delivering FOX among Total Viewers 2+; and fifth largest broadcast network among Adult 18-49 viewers.
- Positioned Univision as the No. 1 Spanish-language Network during the two-hour premiere, out-delivering its closest competitor by double-digit margins among Total Viewers 2+ (+58%), Adults 18-49 (+74%) and Adults 18-34 (+82%).
- Increased its audience in the last hour compared to the first hour among Total Viewers 2+ (+9%), Adults 18-49 (+17%) and Adults 18-34 (+21%).
- Delivered more Adult 18-34 viewers than the entire original lineup on CBS (“60 Minutes,” “NCIS: Los Angeles,” “Madam Secretary” and “Elementary”) and the first-run episodes of ABC’s “Match Game” and “American Crime,” NBC’s “Chicago Justice” and “Shades of Blue” as well as FOX’s “Making History” and “The Last Man on Earth.”
- Ranked as the No. 1 program on all of television on Sunday night among Hispanic viewers across Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
“El Chapo” on UniMás:
- Averaged 532,000 Total Viewers 2+, 285,000 Adults 18-49 and 120,000 Adults 18-34.
- Grew its audience in the last hour compared to the first hour among Total Viewers 2+ (+39%), Adults 18-49 (+35%)and Adults 18-34 (+28%).
Source: Nielsen, NPM and NPM-H, Sunday (04/23/2017) 7:00pm-11:00pm. Program ranker includes all ad-supported networks. Reach based on NPM Fast Cume, Persons 2+, 1+ minute qualified audience (short term and long term visitors included). Live+SD.
The “El Chapo” debut made Univision/UniMás the No. 1 broadcast station in the time period (8:00 pm-10:00 pm ET/PT) among:
- Total Viewers 2+ in Miami.
- Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Dallas, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento.
- Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento.
The debut of “El Chapo” grew its audience throughout the duration of the program (Univision and UniMás combined) among:
- Total Viewers 2+ in Los Angeles, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco and Sacramento.
- Adults 18-49 in Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento.
- Adults 18-34 in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Chicago, San Francisco, Phoenix and Sacramento
Source: Nielsen, NSI, Sunday (04/23/17). “El Chapo” debut aired 8:00 pm-10:00 pm ET/PT (7:00 pm-9:00 pm CT/MT) simulcast on Univision and UniMás. Rankings based on impressions. Audience growth based on impressions from the first half hour (8:00 pm-8:30 pm ET/PT) to the last half hour (9:30 pm-10:00 pm ET/PT). KMEX/KFTR includes UMEX/TFTR on Spectrum HHs (formerly Time Warner Cable). Live+SD.