NEW YORK – DECEMBER 18, 2015 – Univision Deportes, the multimedia sports division of Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) that also includes UDN, the No. 1 Spanish-language sports network, delivered strong results and double-digit growth in key metrics within its sports content across its media platforms in 2015. Additionally, UDN (Univision Deportes Network), which launched in 2012, delivered its best ratings year in 2015, once again finishing the year as the No. 1 Spanish-language sports network in the country. With year-over-year ratings growth of +37%, UDN is among the fastest-growing networks in primetime in 2015.
In 2015, Univision Deportes launched the official online hub for Hispanic NBA fans; the soccer fantasy league based on Liga MX, Univision Deportes Fantasy; a weekly basketball magazine show, “Zona NBA”; and secured rights to the Canada Men’s National team for soccer. Also in 2015, Univision Deportes delivered a record-breaking CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament and launched a 5-year partnership with Liga MX to host its super championship game, “Campeón de Campeones.” Univision Deportes won two Sports Emmy Awards and will be broadcasting the 2nd Annual Premios Univision Deportes (Univision Sports Award Show) on the Univision Network on December 20th. Lastly, Univision Deportes’ “Contacto Deportivo” sports news program outperformed ESPN SportsCenter in August and in July UDN was the No. 1 sports network, regardless of language, tying with ESPN among Men 18-34.
Univision Deportes broadcast the top club soccer telecast of 2015 among Total Viewers 2+ and Adults 18-49 across all networks – the Pumas vs. Tigres Liga MX finals match which aired on UniMás on December 13th, 2015 and delivered 2.8 million Total Viewers 2+ and 1.6 million Adults 18-49.
In fact, Univision Deportes delivered:
- The top 3 most-viewed club soccer telecasts of 2015 among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.
- 6 of the top 10 most-viewed club soccer telecasts of 2015 among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.
- 20 of the top 30 most-viewed club soccer telecasts of 2015 among Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.
Liga MX coverage on Univision Deportes increased year-over-year with combined viewership up +7% year-over-year.
Liga MX was the most-watched club soccer league in 2015 regardless of language, with more matches airing on Univision Deportes than any other network.
- Liga MX action on Univision Deportes outperformed English Premier League (EPL) matches on all NBC Networks in 2015.
- Liga MX on Univision and UniMás out-delivered EPL on NBC by +3% and +1% among Total Viewers 2+, respectively, and by +11% and +17% among Adults 18-49, respectively.
- Liga MX on Univision and UniMás out-delivered EPL on NBC Sports Network by +119% and +114% among Total Viewers 2+, respectively, and by +96% and +108% among Adults 18-49, respectively.
The Major League Soccer (MLS) regular season coverage on UniMás was the most-viewed among all networks with Total Viewers 2+, with 221,000 average Total Viewers 2+, besting Fox Sports 1 by +11% and ESPN2 by +4%. Additionally, MLS on UDN was No. 1 among Spanish-language cable networks, and ratings increased +22% among Total Viewers 2+ and +28% among Adults 18-49 from 2014, larger gains than any other network, regardless of language.
- The Knockout Round match between the Seattle Sounders and Los Angeles Galaxy on October 28th on UniMás was the most-viewed non-Finals playoff match of the season among all key demos on any network, regardless of language, besting all quarterfinal and semifinal matches on Fox Networks and ESPN Networks.
Contacto Deportivo, which airs on weekdays at 12 a.m. on Univision Network, was the fastest-growing sports news show on television in 2015.
- Contacto Deportivo audience grew +167% among Total Viewers 2+ and +124% among Adults 18-49 compared to 2014.
- For the month of August, Contacto Deportivo bested the 12 a.m. edition of SportsCenter on ESPN by +5% among Total Viewers 2+.
On the cable front, UDN showed huge gains:
- UDN was up +47% with Total Viewers and +37% with Adults 18-49 in primetime vs. the prior year.
- UDN was up +11% with both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49 in Total Day year over year.
- Since launching in 2012, UDN has shown three straight years of growth, the only cable sports network to do so during this timeframe.
- UDN is now in 47.3 million homes, +10% more than NBC Universo, +110% more than Fox Deportes, and +144% more than ESPN Deportes.
- UDN was the 6th most-viewed cable sports network in primetime, outperforming MLB Network by +11%, NBA TV by +51%, and The Golf Channel by +30% among Total Viewers, and by +85%, +96%, +220% among Adults 18-49, respectively.
UDN was also the No.1 Spanish-language cable sports network in 2015 in Total Day and primetime among both Total Viewers and Adults 18-49.
- In primetime and Total Day, UDN had the most-viewed year ever for a Spanish-language cable sports network in 2015.
- UDN bested ESPN Deportes by +76% and FOX Deportes by +82% among Total Viewers 2+, and by +82% and +94% among Adults 18-49 in Total Day, respectively.
- UDN outperformed ESPN Deportes by +202% and FOX Deportes by +167% among Total Viewers 2+, and by +220% and +191% among Adults 18-49 in primetime, respectively.
Source: Nielsen, NPM and NPMH, L+SD data, thru 12/13/15 vs. STP yago, MLS min 10 TCs per network, Contacto thru 12/6/15
CONTACT: Esther Mireya Tejeda, 646.560.4829, email@example.com