Most-Viewed Club Soccer Regular Season Since 2008, Bests English Premier League on NBC Networks
NEW YORK – MAY 15, 2015 – Univision Deportes, the sports division of Univision Communications Inc., the leading media company serving Hispanic America, delivered strong results with its sports content in the Liga Mexicana Fútbol Clausura 2015 regular season.
Univision Deportes, the home of soccer 365 days a year, delivered the most-viewed club soccer regular season on any network, regardless of language, since 2011. UniMás broadcast its most-viewed Liga MX regular season since 2008 and Univision Deportes Network (UDN) set new ratings highs with its Liga MX coverage.
On Univision Network, viewership for Liga MX increased by +12% for both Total Viewers 2+ and young Adults 18-34, and +9% for Adults 18-49 vs. prior year. Liga MX on Univision Network averaged 982,000 Total Viewers 2+, 525,000 Adults 18-49 and 252,000 young Adults 18-34 in the Clausura 2015 season, the most-viewed club soccer regular season on any network since the 2011 Liga MX Clausura campaign on Univision Network.
Chivas de la Guadalajara home matches, airing exclusively on Univision Deportes, averaged 1.3 million Total Viewers 2+, 743,000 Adults 18-49 and 370,000 young Adults 18-34 per match in the Clausura 2015 season, the most-viewed club soccer team in the U.S., on any network, regardless of language.
- The El Súper Clásico match on Univision Network, with Chivas de la Guadalajara vs. Club América, delivered an average audience of 3.0 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.7 million Adults 18-49 and 862,000 young Adults 18-34 on April 26, the most-viewed regular season club soccer match in the U.S. in over 5 years.
- Univision Network coverage of Liga MX outperformed the current season of the English Premier League on both NBC and NBC Sports Network by double and triple-digits. Liga MX on Univision Network delivered +128% more Total Viewers 2+, +102% more Adults 18-49 and +91% more young Adults 18-34 than EPL on NBCSN, and +15% more Total Viewers 2+, +19% more Adults 18-49 and +16% more young Adults 18-34 than EPL on NBC in the current 2014-2015 season.
On UniMás, viewership for Liga MX increased by +3% for Total Viewers 2+, +5% for Adults 18-49 and +11% for young Adults 18-34 vs. prior year. UniMás averaged 812,000 Total Viewers 2+, 477,000 Adults 18-49 and 237,000 young Adults 18-34 in the Clausura 2015 season, best since 2011, and the second most-viewed network for club soccer.
On the cable front, Liga MX on UDN averaged 314,000 Total Viewers 2+, 188,000 Adults 18-49 and 95,000 young Adults 18-34 in the Clausura 2015 regular season, all new network records.
Liga MX on UDN audience increased +22% with Total Viewers 2+, +18% with Adults 18-49 and +40% with young Adults 18-34 vs. prior year.
- Liga MX on UDN registered more Adult 18-49 and young Adult 18-34 viewers than both live NBA games on NBA TV and live NHL games on NBCSN. Liga MX on UDN delivered +39% more Adults 18-49 than NBA on NBA TV, and +8% more Adults 18-49 than NHL on NBCSN. Among young Adults 18-34, Liga MX on UDN out-delivered NBA on NBA TV by +34%, and NHL on NBCSN by +8%.
Source: Nielsen, NPM, L+SD data, data through 5/10/15
CONTACT: Esther Mireya Tejeda 646-560-4829 email@example.com