Mexico vs. Argentina Match Propels Univision to Victory Over CBS and FOX on Tuesday Night with Adults 18-49 and Tops ABC, CBS and FOX with Adults 18-34
Univision Broadcast Prime Highlights – Week of September 9, 2019 to September 15, 2019
- Univision out-delivered one or more of the English-language broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX) on six out of seven nights last week among Adults 18-34.
- Univision finished ahead of the CW in primetime for the 51st consecutive week since the start of the current 2018/2019 season with 1.2 million Total Viewers 2+, 499,000 Adults 18-49 and 205,000 Adults 18-34. Univision also outperformed CBS for the third consecutive week during primetime with the young Adult 18-34 demographic.
- For the second consecutive week, Univision ranked as the No. 1 Spanish-language network during primetime, outperforming Telemundo among Adults 18-49 (+4% adv.) and Total Viewers 2+ (+8% adv.).
- Monday night’s finale of “Juntos, El Corazón Nunca Se Equivoca” averaged 1.3 million Total Viewers 2+ and 534,000 Adults 18-49, marking its highest-rated telecast during its full-run and positioned Univision among the top-rated broadcast networks during the 9 p.m. hour, out-delivering CBS, FOX and the CW among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34. The series also drew in more Adult 18-34 (237,000) viewers than first-run episodes of ABC’s “Grand Hotel,” FOX’s “So You Think You Can Dance,” The CW’s “Whose Line Is It Anyway” as well as Telemundo’s entire original primetime line-up (“Exatlón Estados Unidos,” “El final del paraíso” and “Preso No. 1.”).
- With special live coverage of the USMNT and Mexican National Team, Univision captured the No. 2 broadcast network ranking on Tuesday night, ahead of ABC, CBS, FOX and The CW among Adults 18-34 as well as the No. 3 broadcast network, outperforming CBS, FOX and The CW among Adults 18-49. The first soccer match of the night between USA and Uruguay delivered 1.2 million Total Viewers 2+, 630,000 Adults 18-49 and 283,000 Adults 18-34. Mexico vs. Argentina attracted more Total Viewers 2+ (+60% to 2.4 million), Adults 18-49 (+70% to 1.3 million) and Adults 18-34 (+65% to 588,000) to the network’s 10:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m. time slot from the comparable Tuesday last year, making it the No. 1 and No. 3 program on all of broadcast television with the respective Adult 18 to 34 and 18 to 49 demographics. The sports event also drove Univision to a first-place finish on Spanish-language television for the entire night with double-digit audience advantages over Telemundo among Total Viewers 2+ (+53% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+79% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+72% adv.).
- On Thursday night, Univision finished ahead of NBC and The CW for the entire night among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 with live coverage of the third Democratic Debate. The news special delivered 1.1 million Total Viewers 2+, 429,000 Adults 18-49 and 132,000 Adults 18-34. It also outperformed the average of the first and second Democratic debates on Telemundo among Total Viewers 2+ (+43% adv.), Adults 18-49 (+35% adv.) and Adults 18-34 (+3% adv.).
- More than 1.0 million Total Viewers 2+ tuned-in to the Liga MX matchup between America and Unam on the Univision network on Saturday night. America vs. Unam also ranked among the top 5 programs on broadcast television, in fourth-place among Adults 18-34 (220,000) and in fifth-place among Adults 18-49 (525,000) as well as propelled Univision to the No. 3 broadcast network ranking for the entire night, ahead of CBS and NBC among Adults 18-34. The soccer match also made Univision the top-rated Spanish-language network on Saturday night, out-delivering Telemundo by +4% among Adults 18-49 and +18% among Adults 18-34.
- Univision’s special primetime airing of “El Grito de Mexico” attracted 1.3 million Total Viewers 2+, 491,000 Adults 18-49 and 194,000 Adults 18-34, positioning it among the top-rated broadcast networks during the Sunday 9 p.m. hour with double-digit audience advantages of +11% over CBS among Adults 18-34. “El Grito de Mexico” increased its audience in the last half-hour compared to the first half-hour among Total Viewers 2+ (+7%), Adults 18-49 (+6%) and Adults 18-34 (+9%).
Source: Nielsen, NPM (09/09/2019-09/15/2019) Mon-Sat 8pm-11pm/Sun 7pm-11pm, Live+SD.